Since Girl's Night Out fell on Cinco De Mayo this year, we whipped up some themed cupcakes for our sweet snacks.
I found this tasty recipe via RecipeGirl.com
Yields 24 regular cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes
9 ounces Margarita Mixer, bottled liquid
3 ounces tequila
1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
3 large egg whites
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 Tablespoon lime zest
LIME BUTTERCREAM ICING:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. Prepare cupcakes: Whisk together margarita mix & tequila in a small bowl.
3. In a large bowl, blend cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, lime zest and 1 1/4 cups of the margarita mix from step 1. Blend on low for about 30 seconds and then increase speed to medium and blend for two additional minutes. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners (about 3/4 full). Bake for 20-25 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes in the pans, then remove them to a rack to cool completely. *For mini cupcakes - bake for 16-18 minutes
5. Prepare icing: Once cucpakes are completely cooled, prepare the icing. Place butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until butter is fluffy. Add 5 cups of powdered sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until thick and creamy. Add more powdered sugar until the frosting is of a good spreading (or piping) consistency. Ice cupcakes in whatever manner you prefer... spreading or piping the frosting.
I added some green sprinkles, straws & umbrellas to give them a little personality.
Gus & Tuesday intently watched me make these so I coudn't resist treating them to a little bit of the left over frosting :-)
And the all the ladies liked them too!
A perfect treat for Cinco De Mayo, a summer soiree or just because.
Like creative goodies that taste delicious? We love finding & sharing fun recipes. Don't miss out on our future finds... simply sign up to receive these blog posts in your email in box.